Welcome Chigwell! My name is Miss Manzano. I will be your year 5 class teacher. Our LSA will be Miss Waller, who will join us during the morning sessions.
3 interesting facts about me:
- When I was younger, my dream was to become a teacher (look where I am now – dreams do come true if you work hard!)
- I was born in the Philippines (in Asia) and can speak the language Tagalog.
- Some of my families live across the world: USA, Canada, United Arab Emirates and (of course) Philippines.
I wonder what your three interesting facts are. I can’t wait to get to know every single one of you, your passion/interest and how you learn. I am certain that we will all grow together this year.
As you already know, our class is called Chigwell. This place is located in London and is an underground station (in central line). Look, I found where it is placed!
Things to remember:
- PE kits every week. The children have double PE on Friday. The children are expected to bring it at the start of every week -Monday- and to take it home on Friday)
- Water bottles
- Reading diaries – make sure you are quizzing after you finish a book.
- Homework will be set on a Friday and is due the next Friday. There will be an English and Maths activity to complete.
For Spring term, we will continue on fractions and will be looking at multiplication and division too. This unit follows on from children’s learning about reading, finding, comparing and ordering fractions in Unit 5, and is followed by further fraction work in Unit 6, during which children will learn to multiply with fractions and find fractions of amounts. Within each lesson, children will consolidate their understanding and use of the vocabulary linked to calculating with fractions.
This unit is important as it introduces children to adding and subtracting related fractions by finding a common denominator. It will develop their confidence and flexibility with fractions, so they can explore the most efficient methods for solving fraction problems.
In English, the children will consolidate their understanding of paragraphs and when they need to use it. Last Autumn 2, the children were introduced to 'Tip Top' so that they knew when they needed a new line. The children will continue to do this in the Spring term, along with applying new writing devices.
Parents and careers, if you have any questions or enquiries, this is our class email: Chigwell@connectedlearningmat.co.uk